Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You still love me, right?



On Monday, June 16th Montgomery spent his first FULL day at school - ever! At San Antonio Academy he took a "Manipulative Magic" class in the morning, went to the cafeteria for lunch, and then took a "Reading fun with Curious George" class in the afternoon. I dropped him off at 9:00 AM and didn't pick him back up until 3:00 PM. I was pretty nervous about it, but so excited for him. When I picked him up, he said his day was great but asked, "Did anyone call you today mama?" Not thinking anything about it, I said no. Then as the afternoon went on, he kept asking me if I would still love him even if he made bad choices. I assured him that I would. At this point I was still not connecting the dots. Finally, that night after we said his prayers, he said that the next morning when I dropped him off again he did not want me to talk to his teacher, but to sign my name and leave. That's when the light finally went off and I asked him to tell me what happened at school.
I am so embarrassed to even post this, but here it goes . . . he kicked a boy in the back, knocked down other boys' Lego buildings, and got in a fight during lunch. Can you believe it? Montgomery? I was stunned! He went into lots of detail about the events, but he really couldn't explain to me why he did what he did. We talked about what a special place The Academy is for boys and that he should never, ever make bad choices like that again. He told me that the next morning he wanted to tell his teacher that he was sorry and I agreed that would be a nice thing to do. When we got to school, his teacher was so happy to see him and she told me that she was just as stunned as I was by Montgomery's actions the day before. Montgomery kept his promise by apologizing and making the next 2 days (so far) be perfect. I guess everyone has bad days. But no matter what, I will always love him - even when he makes bad choices. I try to remember that is how they learn.